Welcome to Year 2
We are so excited for the year ahead! We have lots of fun activities and trips planned.
Thank you to everybody who came to watch the nativity! It was amazing and we are so proud of the children. They did an amazing job! Thank you again to all parents for bringing in costumes and helping learn lines.
We got our hands messy and made Marshmallow Reindeers! The children carefully followed the steps to make the reindeers. We sold these at the fayre ....they were a hit with all our customers!
LIGHTS CAMEL ACTION.
Year 2 presents... Lights Camel Action!
We will be performing our Christmas nativity on Wednesday 4th December at 2pm and Thursday 5th December at 9:30am.
Please get your tickets from your child's teacher!
What're we doing this half term?
As mathematicians we will…
- continue to use our acquired place value knowledge to support addition and subtraction on a number line.
- count money in pence and pounds in both notes and coins.
- combine amounts to make different amounts including finding different combinations.
- add money and subtract money, including finding change.
As writers we will be…
- writing informal letters in role as a character from ‘Stone Age Boy’.
- writing our own story using the structure of ‘Stone Age Boy’ to inspire our own ideas.
As readers we will be…
- developing our reading fluency (expression, accuracy, rate and smoothness)
- making predictions using a book’s front cover, blurb, illustrations and what we have already read.
- learning new vocabulary and searching for synonyms in a text.
Click here for comprehension questions you can ask your child before, during and after their reading.
What are Year 2 reading this half term?
As scientists we will be…
- identifying how the offspring of animals, including humans grow into adults over time.
- finding out about and describing the basic needs of animals, including humans, for survival.
- discussing the importance for humans to exercise, eat the right amount of different foods and keep clean.
As geographers we will be...
- learning about the United Kingdom and its countries
- using a world map to name and locate the seven continents and 5 oceans.
- using aerial photographs and plan perspectives to recognise landmarks and basic human and physical features.
- devising a simple map and constructing basic symbols in a key.
- studying the geography of our school and its grounds.
As artists we will be...
- learning about primary and secondary colours.
- making our own colour wheels.
This week's homework
Dates for your diary…
Friday 29th November
Christmas decoration morning – whole school
Wednesday 4th and Thursday 5th December
Year 2 Nativity performances – more information to follow
Friday 6th December
Sharp Lane Christmas Fair
Friday 13th December
Christmas jumper and Christmas dinner day
Potter and Donaldson
Indoor PE- Wednesday
Outdoor PE - Thursday
Indoor PE - Monday
Outdoor PE - Friday
Book Changing Days
Books will be changed on Mondays and Thursdays.
Please make sure you are reading and discussing books daily with your child. Please evidence this in their reading record.
Mathletics - Login to your Mathletics account here
Times Tables Rock Stars - Login to access your account here
Phonics Play - access to phonics resources for all phases
Topmarks - free resources for all curriculum areas
Oxford Owl - fun reading activities
Scratch - coding for children
Google Earth - allows children to explore our planet (can also be downloaded as an app)