Welcome to Year 2
We are so excited for the year ahead! We have lots of fun activities and trips planned.
Growth Mindset Week
As part of National Growth Mindset Week, Year 2 have been looking at how we can challenge ourselves and how our 'never give up' attitudes can help us succeed.
We enjoyed our team building building games which not only helped with our social skills but also our communication skills!
We especially enjoyed building towers with no hands!!!
They all floated! - Dahl class
We tested our boats today in water! We think Anka and Pana would be impressed with our designs!
Polar Bear Fact Files
Anka and Pana needed our help! The ice was melting around them and needed a boat! Today year 2 used our science knowledge on materials to build a boat.
On Wednesday we received an email from our Arctic friends, Anka and Pana. Their Grandma had told them that they needed to be very careful online because not everyone is who they say they are. We made our own masks to show how easy it is to pretend to be someone you’re not using a fake identity.
We have been looking at Arctic poems this week. We have been creating our own acrostic poems about the Arctic. Take a look at some of our amazing poems below...
What're we doing this half term?
As mathematicians we will…
- be learning our multiplication and division facts and applying these in a range of problems
- creating and interpreting tally chart, pictograms and bar charts using data
- investigating the properties of 2D and 3D shapes, drawing shapes and identifying lines of symmetry
- recognise, find, name and write fractions 1/2 , 1/3 , 1/4 , 2/4 and 3/4 of a length, shape, set of objects or quantity.
As writers we will be…
- writing a recount of a WOW day
- creating our own Arctic acrostic poems
- writing an non-chronological report about an Arctic animal
- taking on the role of a character to write a diary entry
- persuading others to look after our planet
As readers we will be…
- developing our reading fluency (expression, accuracy, rate and smoothness)
- making predictions using a book’s front cover, blurb, illustrations and what we have already read.
- making inferences
- expressing our opinions
- learning new vocabulary
Click here for comprehension questions you can ask your child before, during and after their reading.
What are Year 2 reading this half term?
As scientists we will be…
- identifying and comparing the suitability of different materials. We will investigate which of these materials are waterproof and which float or sink.
- finding out how the shapes of solid objects made from some materials can be changed by squashing, bending, twisting and stretching
As geographers we will be...
- learning where the Arctic circle is and the countries within it
- investigating where the coldest places on Earth are and why
- identifying the physical features found in the Arctic
- wondering what life in the Arctic might be like in 2050 due to climate change
As artists and designers we will be...
- designing and making boats for our Arctic friends, Anka and Pana to travel around the Arctic in.
- creating our own Arctic landscapes/collages
This week's homework
Dates for your diary…
Monday 10th February
Safer Internet day
Monday 10th February - Friday 14th February
Growth Mindset Week
Potter and Donaldson
Indoor PE- Wednesday
Outdoor PE - Thursday
Indoor PE - Monday
Outdoor PE - Friday
Book Changing Days
Books will be changed on Mondays and Thursdays.
Please make sure you are reading and discussing books daily with your child. Please evidence this in their reading record.
Mathletics - Login to your Mathletics account here
Times Tables Rock Stars - Login to access your account here
Phonics Play - access to phonics resources for all phases
Topmarks - free resources for all curriculum areas
Oxford Owl - fun reading activities
Scratch - coding for children
Google Earth - allows children to explore our planet (can also be downloaded as an app)