Maths at Sharp Lane Primary School
At Sharp Lane Primary School we aim to provide a maths curriculum that enables pupils to:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing the relationships and generalisations, and developing argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- Solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering when seeking solutions.
Through the delivery of high quality maths lessons, pupils at Sharp Lane develop skills and attitudes including:
- Understand important concepts and make connections within mathematics
- Show high levels of fluency in performing written and mental calculations
- Are taught a range of consistent calculations strategies which prepares them for the next stage of learning
- Are able to add, subtract multiply and divide effectively using a range of strategies (including mental strategies)
- Are competent in fluency, reasoning and problem solving.
- Are able to explore and choose concrete, pictorial or abstract ways of working.